This presentation reviews some of the changes that have occurred in the engineering profession over the past 40 years as witnessed by the author and will use this experience to predict possible changes that may occur during the next 40 years. These will include:
- The increase complication of design codes for structures;
- The continued marginalization of math skills;
- The increase use of computer simulations for the verification of structural design;
- The introduction of artificial intelligence in engineering; and
- The humanistic traits that are key components of a successful career in engineering, regardless of the changes that may occur.